Saturday, July 16, 2011

Powerful Words


What do you deem to be powerful words? Why are they powerful to you? Are they your own words or are they the words of another? Who? Why do these words even grab us and hold on to use (sometimes) forever?


Growing up I decided to keep a quotes notebook for fun. I would write down words, phrases, quotes that caught my attention for known and unknown reasons. I have been in and out of this phase of collecting words, quotes and phrases all my life. There have been times when I DVR'd Oprah so I could write down word for word what she said OR if someone said something profound to her. She has made herself incredibly wealthy by telling the truth and tapping into conversations most don't consider. She has capitalized on her fear of the unknown and the fear of putting issue in the spotlight. I am wowed by her in that aspect. However, if you pay careful attention she looks to others for guidance and will often quote profound things others have said. Words touch her. Quotes touch her. She is/was able to use this knowledge and perception to her benefit in creating an empire based on truth. I, however, do not intend to ever be Oprah status! But I resonate with her in using words to get through situations and trying to understand people in a deeper sense. I have smatterings of quotes books, notebooks, sheets of paper all scattered around. If only I kept one book what a treasure trove that would be. But just because I have lots of things written doesn't mean I remember them all. Isn't that why I wrote them down to begin with? Yeah, it is! Depending on the day depends on what quote I live by. I think that the ebbing of quote usage tells you that you are ever changing in your life and your perception of yourself. I think this is healthy and normal.



"Say what you need to say."
"Say what you mean. Mean what you say."
"Live life to the fullest."
"When you know better you do better."
"When one door opens another closes."

"DON'T GIVE INTO FEAR."

"I love you."
"Have a good day."
"You're the best."
"Just checking in."



These are my latest most favorite quotes. Some from famous souls others from ordinary folk. Either way no matter who said them they still have importance and meaning to me in a BIG way! The latest one "don't give into fear" has been haunting me for some time now. Haunting not in a bad way but as I sort out things in my life I am reminded not to let fear control me but to remain in charge no matter what the situation big or small. When I recognize fear (or anxiety) happening or just about to start to happen I am stopping myself to recognize what is going on and see if I can change the direction of my reaction to what is going on. I am learning to be more vocal and state my needs at the time, lack of understanding, approval, disapproval, or my feelings. Fearing life and the things in it is really foreign to me because this sense of fear is very new. New in the sense that it grew over the last few years. I never had fear but adventure and I am working hard to get back to that adventure girl again. So these powerful words are helping me redirect my life which I am very happy about.

So, share your powerful words, write them down, or do nothing with them but whatever you do hold on to them because they are yours and you give them the value they deserve in your own heart!

2 comments:

  1. I to love oprah, she has been through so much and yet has over come it all.Thanks to her I was able to forgive something life changing. The day I heard her say forgivness is not for the other person its for you. And its letting go of the idea that the past could be any different. That was my light bulb momoment. I miss my oprah hour already. And thanks for your message on my blog. Dont think it was to focused on you. I dont get to travel much as well. And I am so there with you, love house hunters as well. Its neat to see what homes look like else where and how much they run. If I had never had to worry about money I would so live in Italy. One day I would love to go there. I bet its cooler there....lol Yes its hot for sure. I bought a garden kit for watering the garden, best thing I have ever bought. They looked so refreshed getting a good watering. And its nice to just turn it on and go back in..lol So strange some places this year are seeing record floods and some no rain at all. I have never been through I flood, sure you was so worried when you went through yours. And to be spared is great. But some are not so lucky feel for those. Well thanks for stopping by and thanks again for such a thought provoking post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello CraftyShell!!! I know the show you are talking about when she talks about forgiveness. Forgiveness is for you and not the other person but I have had one hell of a hard time accepting forgiveness. While I see why she says that I also feel that when you say you forgive someone for something you are giving them the approval that what they did was ok. I don't know. This word "forgiveness" has been swirling around in my head for a long time and I can't say I forgive those who have done me wrong. I don't dwell on it but I also can't say "I forgive you". Some situations I don't feel that the situation deserves forgiveness and I wish a linguist would create a new word for this space other than "forgive". I don't know if I will feel better if I get to this point to say "I forgive you"....it might just make me feel worse. So, what do I do instead. I leave it alone. Yup. I do nothing. I don't forgive, I don't forget, but I also don't dwell. I take what I needed from the experience and simply, walk away. Yup. I walk. I walk away in my heart and extinguish thoughts of what once was. Like I said this is an issue I have battled for a long time. I am not angry but when it comes down to saying those three (3) little words to a situation and those in that situations, that I cannot do. I try. I can't. I walk instead. I cleanse my heart, mind, and soul out of what I had once and move on. No apologies. No forgiveness. Nothing. I walk. Thanks for the post response...........and I give you so much credit for dealing with the in-law situation you refer to. I cannot imagine it is easy or fun for you.

    ReplyDelete