Monday, June 6, 2011

To Move or Not to Move?

It is never ever an easy decision to make big decisions. Heck, some of us struggle with making small decisions so when we are faced with making big decisions we hem and haw for a long time before we can move past the decision. And, quite honestly, it is never the "right" time despite the tricks you play with yourself in your head. When this happens, we will do that. Once we have this much money saved, then we will do that. ...and the saga goes on.

Yes, to be or not to be...to move or not to move? Weighing the pros and con's of us moving has been a discussion on the table for quite some time for some obvious reasons if you knew us personally. Any real estate agent will tell you location, location, location!!! Well, we have location, location, location! I love where I live. The convenience to those things we enjoy, hiking, biking, beach, city, country, we have access to it all in any direction, north, south, east or west all within 15 minutes to whatever spur-of-the-moment thing we want to do. If it is going to be a hot day, we head to the beach. If it is cooler, we head to the bike trails or museums. Giving up the convenience to activities that bring lots of joy and adds peace feels like the impossible. So why move you ask? Sometimes location doesn't work for other parts of your life. Pretty doesn't pay the bills! Time in a car can drain a relationship and there is a recent study out that says basically spending 45 minutes a day commuting increases your chances of divorce by 40%. Hello!

I ponder the quietude that I cherish in this highly desired place I call home. I love our privacy but also being part of the neighborhood. I love the protected land that borders two sides of our property. I love the access to farm stands during the spring, summer, and fall. It's a silly thing, but I love our cedar sided house. Living in a small space with someone forces you to get along because you have no where else to go except outside. Who wants to be outside at night if your not getting along? Certainly, not me! I don't want a bigger, better house. I want a space that gives me what I have come to love here. No, granite counter tops don't live here but I can honestly say I wouldn't be any happier with granite. It is the space I share that makes this house a home.

I continue to negotiate reasons to stay and reasons to go in my head. Some days I have let go of this place then I wake up and realize that I can't stand the thought of moving. So, the banter goes on. I believe things happen for a reason whether or not we understand what is going on so I continue to look for signs that point me in the right direction. So far, things seem to be like a weather vane on a windy day, simply not sure which direction it should point. I look high, I look low, and most importantly I listen to what is going on around me. I believe in a little word called hope and hope that all will work out for the best at the time it was meant to happen. In the meantime, the chatter that takes place in my head will continue with a tug here and there at the heart strings.

Wish me luck as I/we continue to unravel this decision to move or not to move?

Pictures cannot be uploaded by Blogger tonight. Photos will be posted tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment